Ms. Solo graduated with honors, earning her B.A. in Political Science, from UCLA in 1972. She graduated with honors, earning her J.D. from UCLA Law School in 1975. While attending UCLA Law School, she served a three months’ quarter away externship as the Law Clerk to Presiding U.S. Magistrate Venetta Tassopulos, U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
Ms. Solo began her 39 year lawyering career as an Aide to the California State Senate in 1975. She was an associate in the law firm of McKay, Byrne & Graham from 1976 through 1979. Thereafter, she was the principal of Solo and Baron in Century City from 1979 through 1987. In 1987, following the birth of her older daughter, she returned to McKay Byrne & Graham as Of Counsel until May, 2006. In May, 2006, Ms. Solo reopened her own firm, exclusively representing plaintiffs in employment cases.
Ms. Solo was admitted to practice before the courts of the State of California in December, 1975 (State Bar Number 67611). She was admitted to practice before the United States District Court, in the Central and Northern Districts of California in 1976. She was admitted to practice before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in 1977.
Professional Activities and Associations
Ms. Solo’s many professional activities have included the following:
- Member, California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA)
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- Member, Legal Eagles for Truth, Justice & the American Way (LEFTJAW)
- Member, Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- Supervising Attorney, First AME Church - Temple Isaiah -UCLA Law School Legal Clinic , First AME Sunday Free Clinic
- Mentor to numerous female and minority lawyers
- Vice President, Personnel and Administration, Temple Isaiah
- Settlement panelist, Los Angeles County Superior Court Employment CRASH settlement program, 2011, 2012 and 2014
- Founding Board Member, Womens’ Legal Clinic
- Volunteer Judge Pro Tem, West Los Angeles Municipal Court
- Continuing Education of Bar Civil Litigation Advisory E-Panel
- Contributor, California Civil Jury Instruction Companion Handbook,
Elizabeth A. Baron, Associate Justice CA Court of Appeal, (Ret.)
- Lexis Nexis Martindale-Hubbell Peer Reviewer 2012
Philanthropic & Community Activities
- Recipient of the "Hineni" Award, signifying "I am here and present, to help" by Temple Isaiah in 2011
- Founder and Donor of the Gail Solo Youth Opportunity Scholarship Fund and Gail Solo Roots and Wings College Scholarship Fund
- Fiduciary Board Member, Jewish Women's Theater
- Commissioned L.A. Drama Critic's Award Nominee "Not That Jewish" by Monica Piper for JWT, soon to premiere after its success in Los Angeles on Off Broadway, New York
- Co-leader of the Coalition to Abolish Savery & Trafficking [CAST] - Temple Isaiah Initiative
- Board Member, Jewish World Watch, and Chair, JWW for Temple Isaiah (2011 - 2015)
- Major contributor, Chambucha Rape and Crisis Clinic in Congo, where her funds are being devoted to surgeries that will repair girls and women who have suffered life-threatening injuries as a result of rape as a weapon of war and genocide
- Nkisi Circle (Giving Society) Panzi Hospital & Foundation, D.R.C.
- Former V.P. of Administration and Personnel, Temple Isaiah
- Former Personnel Advisor to Harriett Buhai Center for Family Law
- Former Special Olympics of Southern California Personnel Committee member
- Former Big Sisters of Los Angeles Personnel Committee member
- Former Civil Litigation Trainer, Rape Crisis Center for Hotline Advocates, YWCA of Pasadena and Project Sister, Pomona
- Former Mentor, Roots and Wings Partnership, Temple Isaiah - Santee Learning Complex, a downtown LAUSD High School
- Former Koreh LA Literacy Project, Reading Mentor
- Former supervising attorney for the First AME - UCLA Law School - Temple Isaiah Free Legal Clinic Program
- Numerous LAUSD related volunteer activities, and multiple public service commendations and awards
Ms. Solo is the blessed mom of two awesome and accomplished Harvard-educated daughters.
Beyond this website stands a capable and conscientious lawyer ready to help you.
Gail with Nobel Peace Prize Nominee, Dr. Denis Mukwege
Gail with two of five scholarship recipients 2014
Gail with the Hamilton High Activist Certification Training Club she mentored
Gail Solo (left) with Santee High scholarship recipients
Gail, Lyn Foster and Glenn Webb and 2013 L.A. School of Global Studies scholarship recipients
Gail with her Isaiah Temple Youth friends and scholarship recipients
Gail with heroic rescued survivors of human
trafficking honored by CAST, 2016
Gail with 2015 Santee High scholarship recipients
|| attorney profile